Friday, November 9, 2007

Another Recipe--Sweet Corn Muffins

If I were willing to make these muffins every day, Prince Charming would eat them for every meal. They are fantastic! And they compliment so many different types of meals.

Goodbye, Jiffy!

These muffins are from Cooking Light.

Sweet Corn Muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons fat-free milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, granulated sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine yogurt, melted butter, milk, and egg, stirring with a whisk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
3. Place 12 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups. Divide the batter evenly among cups. Sprinkle batter evenly with turbinado sugar, if desired. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yields 12 muffins.

Here's how I make them:
*You probably don't want to cook these muffins for the entire 20 minutes; they're a little dry if you do. 17 minutes is usually good, especially if you're using paper cup liners.
*I use silicon cup liners. They make for a moister muffin, and I can cook them for the entire 20 minutes.
*I don't have turbinado sugar. I've never seen it. I don't think my little town even carries it. Regular sugar works just fine.
*Sometimes I don't sprinkle the tops with the extra sugar. The muffins are sweet enough without out it. I usually only add it for the crunch factor.
*I have substituted the following for the yogurt if I don't have it on hand: sour cream, buttermilk, or vanilla yogurt. Each of these works just fine, and doesn't really impact the overall taste or texture of the muffins.

These muffins are the absolute best corn bread muffins I have ever tasted. I will probably always use this recipe from now on. The muffins are just that good.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Only a life lived for comments is a life worthwhile." Albert Einstein, modified. Okay. Not really, but comments sure are nice.