Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday--Easy Wall Decor, Part II

As promised, here is Part II of my ideas for easy wall decor. Check out Part I here.

When Cinderella was born, I really wanted to have her name displayed on her wall.

Have you ever priced decorated letters before? The prices are ridiculous!

So, I made my own.

I bought the letters at Devilmart for just over $1.00 each. After buying all my supplies, I spent less than $10.00 for the entire name. Of course, it helps my girls have fairly short names.


1. Paint the fronts and sides of each letter white. The back doesn't show, so unless you're really particular, who cares?

2. Stencil your selected design wherever you want to on the letter. I chose flowers and grass and only stenciled the bottom point of each letter.



This is one of Cinderella's letters. I really like the beveled edges.




This is one of Sleeping Beauty's letters. It has flat edges, but I could fit more of the stencil on it.



3. Measure your ribbon. Make sure you measure enough of it to tie a bow at the top. You can always trim the tails later.

4. Attach the ribbon on the back sides of the top point(s) of each letter with a staple gun.

5. Tie your bows, and hang.



Cinderella's name hangs from hooks on her wall.



Sleeping Beauty's name hangs from hooks on a little shelf. Yes, we have a bright orange wall in our nursery.

Voila! Cheap, easy names charming enough to decorate any child's room!

**********
For more ideas, check out Rocks in my Dryer.

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty.
    Visit my WFMW tip and also enter your craft on my "blogger Craft Club" link. My readers would certainly love to see your pictures.


    http://proverbswife.blogspot.com/2008/01/pre-made-mixes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I'm thinking I could make my boy's names with a few polka dots and hung on rough twine or raffia... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually work from home painting letters like those for a company who sells them at boutiques for $15-20 a letter. I can't believe people pay that much!

    If I may add to your tip, I would suggest sanding the letters vigorously, followed by two coats of satin finish paint to give it that nice finished look.

    You did a great job on those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good idea. I don't see personalized things for Reid and if I did, they would be for a boy's room. Even I could start and finish this project (it's the finishing part I struggle with ;+)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great! I am going to do this for my girls' new rooms! I LOVE personalized stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty!! It's just like a personal home decor, best suited for my room.

    ReplyDelete

"Only a life lived for comments is a life worthwhile." Albert Einstein, modified. Okay. Not really, but comments sure are nice.