Friday, October 5, 2007

Once Again, Another Recipe

This is what we had for dinner last night. It's one of my favorites and again, oh so easy! This recipe is also from Cooking Light.

Udon-Beef Noodle Bowl

8 oz uncooked udon noodles or wheat noodles or spaghetti
1 1/2 tsp bottled minced garlic
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
2 (14 1/2-oz) cans low-salt beef broth
3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp sake or dry sherry
1 tbsp honey
Cooking spray
2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 oz)
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
8 oz top round, thinly sliced
3/4 cup diagonally cut green onions
1 (6-oz) bag prewashed baby spinach

1. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
2. Place garlic, pepper, and broth in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Combine soy sauce, sake, and honey in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrot; saute 2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vegetable mixture to broth mixture. Stir in beef; cook 2 minutes or until beef loses its pink color. Stir in noodles, green onions, and spinach. Serve immediately. Yields 5 servings.

Here's how I make it:
*I use the precooked, heat-and-serve udon noodles you can find with the tofu. I cook them according to the package directions.
*Since this meal is slightly spicy, I add the seasoning packet when I reheat the noodles and reserve the broth for my daughter. I take some chunkies from the big pot, rinse them off, and add it to the reserved broth for her dinner.
*I don't usually have sake on hand, so I use sherry.
*I can never find 8-oz of top round, so I just use whatever kind of beef is available in around 8 oz. More beef works well, too.

That's about it! It's kind of like a soup, but more like a runny, chunky stew. So yummy!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Only a life lived for comments is a life worthwhile." Albert Einstein, modified. Okay. Not really, but comments sure are nice.