Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sew Big

On Tuesday, while mending some of E's "new" school clothes that we bought at Goodwill (score!), I taught E the basics of sewing.

On Wednesday, she decided she wanted to make a shirt.













Fortunately, I talked her down from making herself a shirt to making one of her dolls a dress.

Phew!













Then I had to talk her out of buttons and zippers.

Yikes!

(Looks like this momma is going to have to teach herself some intermediate sewing, and soon!)













So, I drew her a simple dress pattern, which she promptly cut out, traced onto a pillowcase scrap from one of my previous projects (skirts! for little girls! out of pillowcases!), and cut out again.













She already knew where she had to sew and where she shouldn't sew (smart girl!), so I threaded her needle, tied off the thread, and off she went!













She sewed her dress and then embellished it.













Six years old and she's already completed her first sewing project.

My heart is just bursting with pride!

2 comments:

  1. That little dress is stinkin' adorable. Reminds me of my home economics class in jr high and how excited I was the summer after -- made like 3 sweatshirts and half a dozen pairs of stretch pants. Haven't made anything since...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I'm a new follower from blog frog. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

"Only a life lived for comments is a life worthwhile." Albert Einstein, modified. Okay. Not really, but comments sure are nice.